12 March 2009

World Kidney Day 2009

When I was three years old I was operated on as I had a blockage of my left kidney. I was so young that it is now a distant, obscure memory. The operation was a success and all I can imagine is that it must have been a great feeling of relief for my family. Each year for about a decade I went, accompanied by my mother, to have check-ups. These, mostly,consisted of intravenous fluid injected into my arm and being placed on an X-Ray table where a nuclear scan would show the fluid in my kidneys. Yeeuch!

In 1986, when I was 14, my parents, candidly, informed me that my surgeon, Professor Barry O'Donnell (he has plenty of letters after his name but I cannot recall any of them)had recommended the remainder of my left kidney be removed. Apparently, even though I was quite healthy, I would be better off having it taken out as high blood pressure or a heart attack may be prompted by the damaged organ. I was told that the other (in my case the right) would be sufficiently active and that I would be quite healthy afterwards. The operation was carried out in July 1987, the month of my 15th birthday, and I was out of hospital in less than five days - Phew!

Following the successful op I was, and am thank God, enjoying good health. Where I go form here is anyone's guess but the surgeon and the staff of Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin were, and I'm sure remain, super. The care and attention I received was second to none and if anyone reading this has children that need care, you should be reassured they will be in good hands.

Today is World Kidney Day and, whilst I cannot cure Kidney disease,I can definitely say that in my experience you can function well on one Kidney. I haven't done any research into Kidney function as a proper journalist would, however I feel that my experience may be of interest to anyone in a similar situation. I will do a more in depth, properly researched article in the future but for now: mind how you go.....
© Ian Callagy 2009
www.ika.ie

No comments:

Irish Blog Directory