22 April 2009

Confessions of a coffee drinker (a Latté starter)

In history people would seek sanctuary in churches. One thinks of Thomas Becket who was fleeing, but ultimately doomed, from Henry II. More recently sancturary, to the UK, was the option taken by Charles De Gaulle (French leader)during World War Two. Similarly Emperor Haille Sallasie (a familiar name for Reggae fans!!) found sanctuary in the quiet English countryside when Mussolini's forces had control of his country.

Thankfully I'm not on the run from Fascist dictators. The pace of life in Ireland allows me to seek refuge,not in churches, but in Cafés. To me these places are a way of re-charging my batteries and a wonderful chance for people-watching to accompany my latté.'Out of my way fat-man', I think to myself 'I want to see the sexy woman behind you.'

Café-going is one of the few affordable luxuries I can allow myself. "What about work?" I hear you say,"what about earning a living, you layabout?" I cannot say I'm not lazy, but smoking, getting pissed at the weekend or taking illegal drugs are not familiar habits for me to indulge. Instead it's coffee and beyond that I,as you can see from my profile, am childless. Less of a burden. So I have,over the last year, turned to writing - probably my only skill.

In Ireland, today, it's not hard to find good quality coffee and it is almost fuel for me. It is, unlike alchohol, a good way of stimulating the mind. Especially when you're not up to it. A few month's ago, whilst working for Totally Dublin magazine, it was my routine to get coffee regularly for myself and my colleagues. Life can be difficult and coffee can give us that much needed boost from time to time without having to have surgery.

Skinny, Latté, Frapucino,Capucino,Americano, White, Black, Mocha... the coffee addict has a diverse range to pick from and,with summer on it's way, the future can only be better for grounded coffee drinkers like me. Despite the reces.....The worst thing is that you end up talking a lot and, as my family know to their misfortune, that can be difficult for others to have to tolerate. The best time to imbibe coffee is in the morning.Just don't drink it at night or you'll never sleep!

Now that my coffee glass is empty, I'll leave you to contemplate life.But believe me it's better with a drop of the brown, Caffiene containing substance. Now where did I leave my jar of Maxwell House.......
© Ian Callagy 2009

No comments:

Irish Blog Directory