12 April 2010

A lesson in living

I became redundant from my job in June of 2002. Getting acquainted with the job seeking and welfare system was intimidating and I can understand, to some degree, the plight of many who have lost their jobs in this recession. My life has not adhered to a ‘work ethic’ and consequently I have a tiny bank balance. However doing something is better than nothing, even if voluntary work is what you choose.

In January 2003 I enrolled with FAS and did a three month Computer course. This equipped me with skills I had not previously possessed. Over the years, despite not returning to full time employment, I took it upon myself to ‘up-skill’. Currently there are people up and down the country who have a low level of skills. Maybe some of these people can benefit through re-education or training. It can be of immense importance in returning to the world of work.

2004 came into view and I put my retail knowledge to good use by doing a CE Scheme. A Charity shop in Dun Laoghaire was recruiting staff and, after applying, I was given a position. Roughly a year after joining the shop closed down - “not meeting targets”. I then decided not to work in the retail sector again as I felt it was generally un-skilled.

By 2005 I’d taken the opportunity to complete ECDL (European Community Driving Licence) over two years. However, despite learning much, this didn’t lead me into a job. One talent that I worked on intensely was typing and, at this stage, it had improved to 30 WPM. In October of 2007 a course, Receptionist Skills, was suggested to me. I duly attended and gained further skills. Unfortunately, though, this too failed to generate an income for me and after finishing it I felt quite despondent.

Over the last two years I have, quite by chance, become aware of the benefits of self-expression. This led me to attempt a career in journalism. I’m putting all my energy into this and am ready for a long, hard journey in this direction. Hopefully my efforts will bear fruit as I am dole-weary.

But why, viewers, am I getting up close and personal today? The answer is that many of us are losing livelihoods and getting mired in debt. Add mortgages and children to this cauldron of problems and things become toxic. I want to say that my experience may help my struggling brethren.

Yes the dole is an awful pain but it is not the only solution. Taking up one of a range of courses can give you the confidence and ability to get work, meaningful work. Up-skilling is well worth aiming at and no one should overlook the possibilities of further learning. Notwithstanding the pressures of daily living, especially losing employment, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

So don’t get depressed or go into a panic – there’s help available and re-education can prove to be a great liberator. Talents can be added to and new skills acquired. Through this, one’s experience grows. The only way is up!

No comments:

Irish Blog Directory