30 June 2008

Marching For Zimbabwe, Dublin 28.06.2008

This morning I awoke with a crick in my neck but, as I finished my breakfast and walked out of my home, I realised that my pain paled in comparison with the suffering of thousands in the far off nation of Zimbabwe. Through my work with Amnesty I have come to meet, and love, Zimbabweans who have fled from Mugabe's thugs. I got into O'Connell Street about 11:30AM and was re-united with some of my Zimbabwean friends and introduced to others of a similar mind, ready to march in unison. A pair of rough looking Dubliners approached me and I was in fear, initially, but they wanted to talk about the march that was due to start and they expressed their support. " Mugabe's a bastard, he treats his people like shit, good luck with your campaign", I was told.

Well after a delay of what seemed like half an hour we set off down Dublin's main thoroughfare accompanied by whistles and chanting, we were a colourful bunch. As we moved, in an orderly way, native Zimbabweans chanted what I was later told was the Zimbabwean national anthem. I went to the front and with others we positioned ourselves with a banner which simply bore the slogan: 'Zimbabwean Solidarity' and carried the Amnesty logo. I was proud.

As we approached South Fredrick Street people came out of their shops and restaurants to 'have a butchers' and to see what the commotion was about. We were roundly cheered as we continued the march towards Molesworth Street where eventually, opposite Leinster House, the marchers (roughly 100 souls) stopped and the volume intensified with a combination of whistles, cheering, clapping and chanting. Someone joked that the Garda (who carefully led us), unfortunately, couldn't arrest Mugabe, but, the boys & girls in blue were not an impediment to our progress - unlike in Zimbabwe where such a congress that was present here,would have been ruthlessly crushed. The Garda were on our side, almost. Cameras clicked and media people were running around with expensive equipment and, typically for Dublin, it started to rain but this didn't dampen our resolve.

Esther (not her real name),who I consider a dear friend, took to a trailer and microphone equipment was unveiled. After all the marching there was going to be a speech. Esther has to be, for me and all those who know her (many!), one of the most magnetic speakers. It was almost historic watching and listening to her. Parallels with Martin Luther King crossed my mind and it felt quite historic to be listening to a black woman in a street that would have been inhabited with horses and donkeys 40 years ago and there was even some manure underfoot as everyone listened to Esther. So much has changed in the Fair City. A career in public life would suit her perfectly, I thought.She, passionately spoke about the sad reality in Zimbabwe and she warmed the crowd, even though it wasn't seasonal weather here. Esther outlined the feelings, first-hand, about the suffering of her compatriots and it was quite moving to listen to.

Barry Andrews TD was then introduced to those present. He stressed that we (Ireland) would do as much as possible to challenge the Zimbabwe regime. It was a powerful 3 minutes he shared with us and his sincerity was clear to all who heard him. Following on from the Minister for Children's strong words of support, various others (including a Nigerian friend of mine) stood up on the trailer to speak. Esther was like a MISTRESS OF CEREMONIES as she roused the crowd and it became quite an emotional time for some of those there.

The rain continued it's journey from sky to ground but we were all in high spirits. Our solidarity was appreciated. Better to do something rather than nothing, even if it was largely symbolic, was the general feeling. Quite out of the blue, Esther spoke: "Now I'd like to call on Ian to have a few words". Well I nearly died. Having watched people on the television addressing crowds I have always had a pathological fear of public speaking. Needless to say I was shaking with nerves. But in the circumstances my concern for my fellow humans in Zimbabwe was the overriding factor and it sort of propelled me. What was I going to say? In the end I simply expressed my pleasure at the gathering in the vicinity of Buswell's Hotel. It was a privilege to address the crowd and I was aware of it. I told them "today there is blood on the streets of Zimbabwe, but in Dublin today there are only tears."

The meeting was wrapped up soon afterwards but not before there was a short prayer service in the street which everyone participated (even a heathen like me!). When the crowd began to disperse I was left with a huge sense of being humbled. Such a public assembly wouldn't have been permitted in Zimbabwe, much worse, you could be beaten by the police. Yet in Molesworth Street today the Garda were more concerned that the people present were safe. We all should be grateful that in Ireland Human Rights are respected and it is important that Irish citizens NEVER forget that fact. I for one will always stand together with Zimbabweans and Africans. We must always care and support all those less fortunate - I think that is what crystallises my involvement in Human Rights campaigning. Together we will make a difference!

No comments:

Irish Blog Directory