10 June 2008

TOASTMASTERS, Bray 04.02.2008

When I mentioned Toastmasters to a friend recently he was completely unsure about what went on at one of they’re meetings: Was it to do with food or was it about...... ? We simply didn’t know. However unlike my hard working pal, I had enough time and interest to attend one of the meetings of Toastmasters in the town of Bray and you can read what went on below.

First of all I had some scrawled directions to help me find the venue for the night’s event: take a left after McDonalds ok, Vevay Road ok, on past Tesco ok... Ahh this is turning out like a pilgrimage! On my arrival at the venue I was met at the foot of a flight the stairs by an elderly gentleman who was a member of Toastmasters and he made me most welcome. At the top of said stairs I was immediately greeted by a middle aged man who had a chain around his neck, who it turned out to be the President (of Toastmasters Bray). Friendly yet formal was the order of the day. I was issued with an itinerary of the night’s running order and sat down to listen to the proceedings.

After various introductions the speeches started in earnest. First up was Anne who spoke about participating in a charity swim on New Year’s Day and the conflict in her mind about whether she should go or not (sound familiar?). Well Anne finally decided she would and she described the event as being a wonderful start to the New Year.What I thought was particularly interesting about her speech was the fact that she didn’t refer to her notes much at all. Anne is what is known as a Stage 3 speaker and she will move up the pecking order after that speech if there is any justice in the world.

Next to the lectern was a gentleman called Ian and he spoke for the duration of his speech about his experiences of Skiing and the fun, enjoyment, and peacefullness got from this Alpine sport.I’ve never been skiing but it was vividly described in glowing language by Ian and by the end you nearly wanted to strap on a pair of boots, grasp skiing sticks and glide down the piste.He made a powerful persuasive speech and he had a very clear voice. "Don’t worry, you’ll enjoy it. Just go for it" he seemed to be saying, and who could argue with that?

The last of the night’s speeches was made by Rita and her speech was most interesting. We (the guests and members) were asked to close our eyes and imagine a ginger cat curling into a ball and then stretching out as if it were getting up in the morning, it was a very relaxing thing to imagine and it set the tone for what she was about to talk to us about: Yoga. She stressed the positive effects of that form of exercise on people’s lives. Rita’s speech was delivered in a very peaceful manner. She was a stage 9 speaker - almost a fully fledged Toastmaster - and it showed.

Following the three main speeches there was a break in proceedings and it gave me an opportunity to talk to each of the three speakers and to compliment them on they’re orations.When we resumed our seats the speakers were individually evaluated by experienced Toastmasters and any criticism was applied in a constructive and helpful manner. The night ended in a series of other evaluations and I felt that by the time it finished I had had enough.

However it was a nice experience and I would urge people to go to a meeting of Toastmasters if you get a chance. I don’t think Toasting will ever be my domain but it should not be dismissed out of hand and I think that everyone can benefit from a Toastmasters meeting,speakers as well as listeners. I would like to conclude by thanking the Bray Toastmasters and in particular Ronnie and Noirín for the welcoming atmosphere extended to me. Listening and talking was never so much fun.

For anyone interested The Bray Toastmasters meet every Monday night at 8pm in Chrissy D’s Pub, Vevay Road, Bray, Co.Wicklow. And admission is free.

1 comment:

Darragh said...

Sounds good Iano, well done on going and even more on reporting back. It's one of those things I'd always wondered about. I did a bit of public speaking when I was younger but haven't had the chance to recently - ah the joy of blogging!

Keep it going sir, drop by and comment on other bloggers and let us know what you're up to. Well done!

Irish Blog Directory