22 December 2009

Learning Loving In Listowel

http://www.krsac.com/

About 18 months ago I was at an evening function in a central Dublin hotel. As the night wore on I joined a group of ladies (roughly my age), and we all were getting on fine. When proceedings were winding down I noticed that one of the girls had, well, an attraction towards me. Naturally I was feeling excited at the possibility of 'getting off' with her. But that's not what happened.

Instead of a night of passion my erection was not wanted in her direction. When later, at a club, I tried to kiss this gorgeous lady she told me not to proceed.Of course, like the gentleman I am, I backed off - I would NEVER force the hand of anyone, especially a woman.I know when to respect a lady's wishes,no matter how dissappointing it may be. Any bloke who removes consent from the arena should know better. I do.

So it is with great sadness when I hear of rape. No woman should have to wear particular clothing or not go out at night and get pissed. Aren't women as entitled to a life as much as a man? Well 50 locals in Listowel obviously don't want to hear that question.

The appalling way these people, Fr. Sean Sheehy among them, treated the victim of the recent rape case, was compounded by them lining up to shake hands with the convicted rapist, Danny Foley.

The issue of rape, of course, is global but young boys (and girls) need to be educated in respect. When sex education is being taught to schoolchildren, it ought to be accompanied by teaching respect for each others bodies.

It is important that when boys grow to adulthood they know that an erection need not be forced on a person. Young people must be made realise that, despite some sections of the media, sex should not be on demand. The importance of relationships, formed by true love, needs to be stressed.

Showing mutual respect for each other may go some way to reducing the terrible, unnecessary violation and trauma caused to a vicim. Respect needs to be put top of the agenda. Those 50 people should be ashamed for their attitude to the outrageous violation of the defenceless woman, in this case.

If they knew the true meaning of respect this story may not have risen to national prominence. The media have played a blinder in alerting us to this story and allowing us to show support to the victim of what is a horrible crime.

No comments:

Irish Blog Directory